First UU has a proud history of providing and supporting liberal religion in Wichita and the surrounding area. Dating back more than 130 years, First UU members include multi-generational families and new members.
We look forward to meeting you! We are a caring, joyful, spiritual, and diverse congregation. We are proud to be a welcoming congregation that respects your spiritual journey and your life directions. We offer an outstanding religious education program and a variety of sermons, services, and service leaders. Additional programs are available for people interested in Buddhism, pagan ritual, dancing and music, games, books and reading, and much more.
Our new home is a fully accessible church designed and constructed with green principles and materials, built specially for us!
Want to know more? Check out our vision and mission or peruse past sermons. Learn what others say about Unitarian Universalism at uuplanet or YouTube. And get involved! —with your time, energy, ideas, or shopping dollars. Explore the links above to learn about other regular activities and information about us and about Unitarian Universalism.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
First UU Events
Rev. David Carter will lead a traditional Christmas Eve service with hymns, candles, and re-telling the age old story.
Honoring our UU diversity, displays of some of our faiths will be displayed during the advent season, November 30 through December 28. Each Sunday during the 11:00 a.m. worship service, a different display will be highlighted:
- December 21: Judaism- Chanukah is celebrated 12/16-12/24 and is an eight day holiday commemorating the miracle of the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt
- December 28: Kwanzaa is celebrated 12/26-1/1 and is a celebration of family, community, and culture.
Rev. David Carter will present, "Famous UU’s: Samuel Coleridge." Coleridge was an English poet, literary critic and philosopher who, with his friend William Wordsworth, was a founder of the Romantic Movement in England and a member of the Lake Poets.
First UU will have many and varied events this December holiday season to which all are welcome:
- Friday the 19th, 7:00 p.m. - Candles & Carols, hymn and carol singing, bring a candle to light the dark
- Saturday the 20th, 6:00 p.m. - Yule, the longest night of the year, a potluck feast and celebratory ritual
- Wednesday the 24th, 7:00 p.m. - Christmas Eve Program, a traditional service with hymns and scripture
- Wednesday the 31st, 7:00 p.m. - New Year's Eve Party, bring cheese, chocolate, or cheer to celebrate